Design and Technology
At Highnam C of E Academy we recognise the importance of Design and Technology in everyday life. We aim to inspire children’s creativity and imagination, providing opportunities to solve problems, be resourceful and innovative.
We understand and develop cross curricular skills with subjects such as Maths, Science, Computing and Art and Design and aim to provide all pupils with opportunities to develop life- long skills for the modern world.
In accordance with the aims of The National Curriculum our Design and Technology teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise required to perform ever day tasks confidently and to participate with enjoyment and increasing confidence in this ever increasingly technical world.
- To learn to plan and organise their ideas, taking into account resources, time and on occasion budgets.
- To, over time build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding the skills required to design and make high quality prototypes and products.
- To learn to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and the work of others.
- To understand the importance of a healthy diet and how to cook simple, nutritious meals.
Teachers create a positive attitude to Design and Technology within their classrooms and reinforce an expectation that all children are capable of achieving high standards in Design and Technology. Our whole school approach to the teaching and learning of Design and Technology involves the following:
- Design and Technology will be taught using a skills based curriculum.
- Design and Technology is linked to the curriculum where appropriate.
- Children are encouraged and guided to reflect, evaluate and improve their work.
- Staff feel confident about implementing and planning and are aware of where to find guidance and support if required.
- Children are exposed to high quality technical vocabulary which progresses through the key stages.
- A range of high quality resources and tools are available to all pupils.
- Children become confident designers and makers.
This approach at Highnam Academy results in engaging, stimulating, high quality Design and Technology education for pupils and staff alike. The engagement with our local environment ensures that all pupils are inspired by the world around them.
Through exploration of designers, engineers, industry experts and group challenges, children understand that Design and Technology has an impact on the world around us.