Art and Design
At Highnam C of E Primary Academy, we place a great emphasis on the importance of Art and Design. It enables children, through exploration to express themselves in a creative, imaginative manner. We engage, inspire and challenge pupils through a skills based curriculum. The curriculum coverage will enable pupils to understand how Art and Design reflect and shape our history and contribute to the culture and creativity of our nation.
In accordance with the aims of the National Curriculum, Art and Design teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- To have a knowledge and understanding of a variety of techniques, using colour, pattern, line, form and texture with increasing creativity and experimentation.
- Develop and share ideas, experiences and imagination by using a wide range of mediums, including drawing, painting and sculpture.
- To be inspired by and learn about the work of great artists, designers and architects and discuss how their work has impacted the world around us.
- To create a positive learning environment where children can exude confidence and a love of Art and Design.
We endeavour to ensure that the Art and Design curriculum we provide will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
Teachers create a positive attitude to Art and Design learning within their classrooms and reinforce an expectation that all children are capable of achieving high standards in Art and Design. Our whole school approach to the teaching and learning of Art and Design involves the following:
- Art and Design will be taught using a skills based curriculum.
- Art and Design is linked across the curriculum where appropriate.
- Children are encouraged and guided to reflect, evaluate improve their work.
- Children are regularly given opportunities to revisit and develop their skills and control of materials.
- Staff feel confident about implementing the planning and are aware of where to find guidance and support if required.
- Children are exposed to high quality technical vocabulary which progresses through the key stages.
- Children become confident enthusiastic artists.
This successful approach at Highnam results in a fun, engaging, and high-quality Art and Design education; enjoyed by both pupils and teachers. Our engagement with the local environment ensures that children are inspired by the world around them. Through various workshops, artists in residence trips and interactions with experts and year group challenges, children have the understanding that Art and Design has an impact on the world around us.